WHAT IS JUTE?
Jute is a long, soft, shiny vegetable fiber that can be spun into coarse, strong threads. Jute is the name of the plant or fiber that is used to make Burlap, Hessian or Gunny cloth. JuCo is Jute blended with Cotton for a softer feel. Hessian or Jute is "hip" and has several advantages mainly;
- environmentally friendly as it uses less water than cotton to grow and is ready for harvest in 4 months.
- stores carbon in its natural form (from carbon dioxide) thus reducing global warming impact.
- is a natural fiber second only to cotton in amount produced.
- biodegradable and compostable.
- extremely strong and durable being used for centuries for sand banks, marine ropes, bags for farm produce, furniture and floor mats.
- lightweight therefore easy to carry.
Jute plant growing in wetlands
Jute being harvested
Jute fiber / rope
Jute/Hessian woven fabric